Skip to main content

Birding in Michigan in September

 Somehow, I found a worse place worse to bird than the Texas Coast in May.

I set out with only middling hopes, so am not to be blamed. There’s a spot near here, Haehnle Sanctuary, that looked decent for birds. I drove the seven minutes it took to get there, listeing to country music and feeling strangely nostalgic for my life just a week ago, when my family and I were driving through the south, trying to  find something on the radio that not country. This time, I didn’t flip the channel, not even when the morning DJ asked people to call in about being lost, and they did exactly that.

I pulled into Haehnle and parked. It is a well-maintained space, with signage and more benches than I have ever seen at a bird sanctuary.

Some sort of a trap, it turns out.

For the moment I stepped from the car, I was completely swamped with mosquitoes. They whirled about me, an irritating, incessantly buzzing swarm landing on the few inches of skin I had left exposed on my hands and face. I immediately sprayed ‘bug spray’ which was in fact some eucalyptus bullshit, which did nothing. Terrified but desperate for time away from humans generally and my family specifically, I set off into the woods.

I reached the top of the hill and saw an immediately spectacular vista of what is to me, archetypically American.

A rolling meadow of grass and fading wildflowers, dotted here and there with oaks, with mist retreating into a forest behind it. The air was cool, the grass moist, with the gentlest of breezes and a fading summer sun, not yet strong enough to poke out from behind the clouds.

The bugling of Sandhill Cranes—of which there are numerous in this part of Michigan—could be heard echoing across this perfect place, as could the sound of at least a dozen species of songbird, calling from excitable foraging flocks near the edges of the forest. I immediately scanned them, chickadees, titmice, a goldfinch, the usual suspects around here.

You could also hear the fucking mosquitoes coming for you like tiny, insectile vampires.

Like the birds, I kept moving, not lingering long in any one stable position. The Eastern Bluebird moved a few branches over? No problem, I’ll do the same. So did the mosquitoes. 

That Common Yellowthroat ducked into the grass? Maybe I can get a better look, let me just scoot on over there, away from the mosquitoes. 

Catbird meowing and looking standoffish inside a bush? Stop standing still, Catbird, it’s dangerous, have you not seen the god damned mosquitoes? 

Wanting to see warblers, but unable to deal with the mass of a blood-thirsty swarm of mosquitoes equipped with emergent intelligence that could seek my dumbass, I set out into the meadow.

A mistake. Despite moving farther from the forest, the mosquitoes did not disappear. There might have been half as many, but half of a fuck-ton is a still a fucking lot. I kept moving.

Despite my best laid plans, the forest trail then plunged into the woods. As if wishing to prove something to their vampiric kin who haunted the fields, the mosquitoes in here became ravenous. More benches dotted the trail here, without mummified remains of people, I noticed.

But there were no living souls either. There were Catbirds and Robins, and not much else. Horrid. It was utterly horrid.

I moved quickly through it until I reached the fields once more.

I hurried, willing a flicker or a woodcock to appear somewhere, anywhere, but neither obliged me. I was back where I had started now, and there were birds—actual birds—ahead of me.

I scanned the branches, finding Eastern Bluebirds and Cedar Waxwings that looked like something had been done to them. The waxwings especially looked awful. Their masks were patchy, their coats ragged. I am used to these birds appearing in Central Texas in the winter, when their winter plumage is one of the most beautiful subtle things in the sky. These one had yet to grow those feathers, and looked like tree-rats. Gross. One of my favorite birds, ruined.

I heard bugling and left the mess of molting birds in the forest.

And for a glorious moment, the mosquitos couldn’t find me. I hurried down a path into the field, found a clearing with a few wild apple trees and like seriously nine benches, and watched some birds.

Field Sparrows called from the meadow. A pair of drab house finches flitted through an apple tree. A downy woodpecker—the tiny mote of red on its head read as flame—scoured for insects. . A Sandhill Crane flew overhead, trumpeting gloriously. Mist clung to the edge of the forest. The sun, still low, bathed everything in yellow light when it succeeded in poking through the clouds. I was alone with the land around me, a land my parents left in the North behind them, alone with the creatures that have lived here for thousands of years.

I slapped myself across the face to kill a mosquito.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harrowing Turns and Steep Slopes

If I had to choose a word to describe today, I would choose ‘harrowing.’  Harrowing (adj) acutely distressing.  Ex: Driving 6 hours through up and down twisting mountain roads when you have only three days of experience driving an RV is harrowing.  We knew going in that today was going to be rough. Our plan is to make it to Michigan in a relatively quick amount of time, so we can enjoy the cooler temps and take our time on the way back down. A solid plan, I hope, except it involved frontloading the trip with a couple of long-ish days.  I’m sure there’s people out there that think six hours of hauling is nothing. Previous to this trip, the most I ever hauled was my kid and a watermelon on a trailer on my bicycle. Yesterday we drove three hours, and that was alright, but it was nothing like today.  I have driven through both Oklahoma and Arkansas before, so perhaps some of the blame lays on me. I associate Oklahoma with cropland and Arkansas with… the woods? I guess?  Now I associate th

The Quest for Venture Begins!

We woke up at six am today to begin our adventure. Months ago, we decided to buy an RV and a truck to tow it across the country with our two kids to see as many national parks and birds as we possibly could with two kids under five.  I would call today a success With the help of two grandmas and a grandpa, we got our house clean and ready for our renter to move in tomorrow. Without too many tears, we hugged our goodbyes, loaded our kids in the carseats, and prayed that everything was stowed safely in the RV.  We were reasonably sure it was. After all, we had gone camping in it before… once. Last week. And it went mostly fine. What was the worst that could happen?  The drive itself was less than pleasant. It was a drive I’ve made quite a few times. IH 35 North to Waco is less then spectacular in my book. Strip malls and future suburbs cut into the gently rolling hills that tested the cruise control of my F150. With fuel economy around 10 mpg (less than half of what I’d hoped for ( sorry

We lost a tire!

 Today, while driving down highway Seventeen from Charleston to Savannah, I noticed a slight change in how the RV was handling. We had just hit a bump in the road—not an unusual occurrence in the USA—but something had… shifted. I glanced in my mirror. “That’s odd. The outdoor shower is dangling. We should pull over.” Almost as an afterthought, I added, “Does it feel like it’s handling differently to you?” Because it did feel different. “Definitely. You should pull over,” Raquel said, always wise in the ways of prudence and caution. “There’s a bridge, I’ll pull over right after,” I said, crossed the bridge (it was tiny, running over a creek, and there was no shoulder on the bridge) then I pulled over, perhaps 30 seconds or a minute after feeling this… bump. Raquel and I got out of the truck, went to look at the passenger side only to discover… that one of the wheels was completely gone. Not flat. Not blown out. Not punctured, or damaged, punctured with the antlers of a