Skip to main content

The Proper Brewing Company in Quakertown, PA



Allow me a moment of your time if you will, to sing praise to a fine establishment known as The Proper Brewing Company in a wonderful town in Pennsylvania known as Quakertown.

We had a night in Quakertown simply because we could not find a spot in DC, and it was within striking distance, but ho, was fortune in our favor. Quakertown may not have known we were coming, but Quakertown still prepared the way. If you are in the DC area and looking for something quant and lovely and wonderful in Pennsylvania, may I recommend to you this town.

The most cursory of google searches revealed an establishment in the middle of ‘downtown’ that not only brewed their own beer, but also cooked their own food. They also sold beer to go, and after time spent traipsing through New England, where each state has a different policies in regards to alcohol and when/where/how it could be sold, I was quite eager to go somewhere where I could sample the wares before taking some home.

We arrived to find a converted dining area that surely once held more tables in the before times.. The brewing equipment to the left made me homesick for my neighborhood in North Austin, though the painfully awkward hostess was not a good sign. The poor thing was trying, and did indeed fetch us a highchair, which was needed, but her hands were shaking so badly while she laid out our silverware (piece, by painstaking piece rather than handing out a bundle wrapped in a napkin) that she dropped a fork on the floor and nearly had a nervous breakdown right there. “The kids don’t need forks, right?” She managed in a hoarse whisper.

“Actually yes, forks would be great,” I tried to sound cheery. I’m sure it came across as patronizing.

She vanished, reemerged a moment later with a fork, and vanished again.

Fortunately our server was much more sure of herself. “She’s new,” was all she said with a cheery smile, and asked us what we were drinking. I ordered the Mac Daddy Summer Shandy for us to split,  and then asked our server to decipher the menu, which was all named after people.

I ordered a flight of four beers, and each was more delicious than the last.

The first was the Charlie, a New England style Hazy IPA. Charlie was juicy and citrusy and solid. Not the best IPA I’ve ever had (especially not up here) but a delicious, good, beer. Perhaps just a bit more malt would have put it where I wanted it.

The next was Quinny’s Irish Red, reds being my wife’s favorite variety. This was a good one, with a rich reddish amber color, and a good, easy drinking profile. It was the first to go, and the beer that we ordered two 25 oz cans of to take with us.

Next was a pumpkin ale that was probably the best non-homebrewed pumpkin beer I’ve ever had: Gracie Lou’s Witches Brew. The fantastic thing about it was that it tasted like a pumpkin cookie. The pumpkin was good and full, but there was also this biscuity flavor that just set it off. I still think about that biscuitiness. It made me think of the grain room from my homebrewing days but was also similar to a piecrust. It was the perfect malty bridge to a pumpkin beer because it was familiar to both baked goods and to beers. Paired with assertive pumpkin flavor it was… enlightening.

My favorite was the darkest on the table, a Prop-er Cherry Stout a dark milk stout with chocolate cherry coffee and cocoa nibs that was divinity in a glass. Cherry. Chocolate. Roasting fireplace. Oak. With a mouthfeel like satin and more flavors than those. This one was something else. Something special. If I were to come across a wizard on my travels through the woods, or perhaps a satyr, this is the beer I would offer him. Just a sip of this was lovely, I cannot imagine drinking the 25 oz can that I purchased alone. It sits in my fridge, even now, taunting me to find gentlemen worthy of drinking such a finely crafted elixir. (I say men because when Raquel sipped it she said “WOOOO! That’s something!” And took no more sips).

We also ordered an appetizer of pumpkin hummus, while my darling wife badgered her about the menu. (Actually, she wasn’t; so bad this time. At a sports bar in Manhattan (hey, sometimes you just need a place with fries) she was so indecisive that she was grunting at the server, poor thing). The server told as that the seasonal menu was quite good, and that she liked their Reuben. I wanted the sandwich—this place seemed like the sort that might not overdo it on the meat, and actually stack it up with veggies—but the kids demanded a burger, so we acquiesced and ordered them the shenanigan version, plus butternut ravioli.

The pumpkin hummus arrived first and came served handsomely, surrounded by carrot and celery sticks, pita chips frosted with the slightest amount of cinnamon and sugar, pickled cauliflower, and apple slices. The pumpkin flavor was subtle, adding an earthy sweetness more than anything, but coupled with the wide variety of dippable bites, it was deemed good by the children, and excellent for the adults. Not bad at all.

Next up was the butternut ravioli. Now, perhaps this dish had an outsized advantage because Raquel often makes a butternut and sage (plus lots of butter) pasta sauce that I am quite fond of. I feel I must offer that disclaimer because I cannot understate how delicious this ravioli was. The filling was perfectly smooth and subtly sweet, the noodles, were, well noodles, which are always pretty much fine and good in my book. And the sauce was rich and thick and smelled of sage. They were just big enough that popping an entire one in my mouth felt decadent, yet not so big that taking such a gluttonous approach did not invoke chastisement from my wife. A wonderful, perfect pasta dish, from someone who does not particularly love pasta. If you are in Quakertown this fall, get it.

Next was the Shennanigans burger, which we were sharing. I cut it half, gave two thirds of one half to my eldest son, one third to my second born (because he doesn’t like meat as much as his older brother, not because I value the health and wellbeing of my proper heir more than I value the spare). This left a quarter of the burger each for my wife and I.

I eyed the quarter of burger, sizing it up. It was a bit decadent, to be sure, with bacon, and American cheese on top of sirloin beef, though it was the mixed greens and thousand island dressing that had drawn my wife and I to it (the bacon was unnecessary in her opinion, and an added delight in mine). We added tomatoes, asked for pickles on the side, two additions I recommend.

I deemed this quarter of a burger to be small enough to just barely fit inside my mouth, and promptly stuffed it all up in there.

I was greeted with a symphony of flavor. The juice from the beef, dressing, and tomatoes hit first, then my teeth crushed through the greens, bread and meat, adding texture to this tantalizing burger juice. My jaw spasmed orgasmicly as I chomped and chewed, mixing burger, bread, greens and sauce into a perfect harmony of flavor. It was juicy, and salty, and just a bit sweet from the thousand island and tomatoes. It was decadent, but there were also vegetables, and I loved it.

I looked around the table, ready to shamelessly steal someone else’s, but no one had failed to notice the sheer deliciousness of this burger, save Xander, who had left an iceberg shaped chunk of meat on his plate, which I let get cold and him to start to play with before I devoured it.

As if all this was not enough, we then ordered desert.

A tip I gleaned from the internet was to ask if restaurants make their deserts in house. Not that the server would necessarily be honest but ours had already told us that she wanted to come with us on our adventure with her six-year-old (Leo and I were both ready to load her and her kid up, Raquel cautioned against it) so I was guessing that she’d shoot straight.

Her eyes sparkled when she answered. “Why yes, we do.” She then rattled off four fantastic sounding deserts. Two caught my ear, but Raquel heard cheesecake, and that’s what we did.

Kettle corn, caramel cheesecake.

That’s right.

Kettle corn.

Caramel.

Cheesecake.

Now, Perhaps I have said this too many times in this article about too many things, but cheesecake (like pasta, and burgers versus sandwiches) is not my favorite. I’m a chocolate guy, through and through. Can’t beat a slice of good chocolate raspberry cake in my book, except maybe with a brownie with nuts. I don’t really like ice-cream either. It’s good, but, like cheesecake, I feel like I can feel every single calorie sliding down my throat, a sensation I never get with cake, or less dairy rich deserts.

But let me tell you, this cheesecake was worth every kcal.

It was perfect, light, flaky under the fork, with a rich graham cracker and butter crust, but it was the toppings that elevated it. The caramel was salty and sweet and a lovely counterpoint to the cheesecake, but it was the popcorn that stole the show.

Being a father has made me love kettle corn. Why, the next day, in Quakertown, I would happily buy a bag of it for my children and consume at least half of it, so again, I might be biased.

But there was just something spectacular about the crunch of popcorn, the just cooked slightly bitter taste of it, on top of cheesecake and drizzled with caramel sauce. I think any of the three parts of that desert—the cheesecake, the caramel, or the kettle corn—would have done well on their own in a tasting test challenged by other versions of themselves, but together, when they could also combine textures and flavors and various levels of sweet and salty plus that roastiness that’s in both popcorn and caramel?

It was perfection.

The kids thought it was weird, but Raquel was nodding as she ate and I was enraptured.

What a meal. What a town.

Book your plane tickets now. The seasonal menu won’t be there forever, and it is worth the miles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harrowing Turns and Steep Slopes

If I had to choose a word to describe today, I would choose ‘harrowing.’  Harrowing (adj) acutely distressing.  Ex: Driving 6 hours through up and down twisting mountain roads when you have only three days of experience driving an RV is harrowing.  We knew going in that today was going to be rough. Our plan is to make it to Michigan in a relatively quick amount of time, so we can enjoy the cooler temps and take our time on the way back down. A solid plan, I hope, except it involved frontloading the trip with a couple of long-ish days.  I’m sure there’s people out there that think six hours of hauling is nothing. Previous to this trip, the most I ever hauled was my kid and a watermelon on a trailer on my bicycle. Yesterday we drove three hours, and that was alright, but it was nothing like today.  I have driven through both Oklahoma and Arkansas before, so perhaps some of the blame lays on me. I associate Oklahoma with cropland and Arkansas with… the woods? I guess?  Now I associate th

The Quest for Venture Begins!

We woke up at six am today to begin our adventure. Months ago, we decided to buy an RV and a truck to tow it across the country with our two kids to see as many national parks and birds as we possibly could with two kids under five.  I would call today a success With the help of two grandmas and a grandpa, we got our house clean and ready for our renter to move in tomorrow. Without too many tears, we hugged our goodbyes, loaded our kids in the carseats, and prayed that everything was stowed safely in the RV.  We were reasonably sure it was. After all, we had gone camping in it before… once. Last week. And it went mostly fine. What was the worst that could happen?  The drive itself was less than pleasant. It was a drive I’ve made quite a few times. IH 35 North to Waco is less then spectacular in my book. Strip malls and future suburbs cut into the gently rolling hills that tested the cruise control of my F150. With fuel economy around 10 mpg (less than half of what I’d hoped for ( sorry

Towing an RV on the Blueridge Parkway in Autumn

 We drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I can only describe it as stunning. We entered at its very northernmost origin, in Afton, Virginia, and immediately began to rise, up from the Shenandoah valley, on twisting roads that grew richer and richer in color as we gained in elevation. We stopped in a grove of elms, having passed up the first few scenic pullouts because the crowds were too heavy. We found ourselves alone in a yellow forest lined with black trucks, a brown carpet of freshly fallen leaves on the ground, and lichen thick on the rocks. Leo was in a sour mood (he had just woken from a nap that he had needed to be a bit longer) but when I took a handful of leaves and tossed them into the air, his frown turned into a mischievous smirk. The whole family then scuttled about, grabbing leaves and tossing them into the air. And then the moment was over, and it was time to get back in the RV and drive. We didn’t make it far before I pulled over at a proper scenic pull off, with a